William Craig House Ca. 1861.
Designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.
First time offered in 30 years. The home is set amongst many quality homes on one of Port Hope's best streets, with an easy stroll to the Ganaraska River and the Historic downtown core. This designated Italianate house sports extended wide eaves surmounted by a hip roof. The bold original columned porch lends elegance to the symmetrical facade, a Georgian detail. The original coloured glass sidelights and transom, sport the initials "WC" for William Craig, the prominent first owner, business owner, and mayor 1866-67 and 1877-78. He owned the Port Hope Morocco Factory (leather factory) at the foot of the street on Cavan St on the River.
Inside the home are extremely high ceilings, elaborate and elegant staircase, wide hall, bold original trim and windows, and large principal rooms. The imported black marble gothic fireplace and 2 matching painted wooden mantles are in the principal rooms on the main floor.
Three bedrooms, one with an ensuite and large closet area, all have extremely tall ceilings and large and bright qualities. There is a stair to the attic off the upper hall, which could become a master-suite by adding dormers facing the ravine system at the rear of the property.
Taxes: $7,036.12 (2017)
Annual Heating: $2,200 (approx.)
Annual Hydro: $3,400 (approx.)